Art Competition Rules
1. All entries in the monthly show will be judged twice; once by the monthly demonstrator
with ribbons and points awarded, and also by the present members to determine the Popular Choice (one winner) with a ribbon and points awarded.
2. Membership dues must be paid in order to enter competition.
3. Limited to one entry per meeting.
4. Entries on paper (water-media/pastel) need not be framed but must be matted.
5. Entries on canvas board need not be framed
6. Member must be present to win
7. Entries must be submitted before meeting starts at 6:30. Entries after that will be turned away. Guest demonstrator will begin judging at 6:40.
Entrant must write name, title of piece and medium used on the Monthly Show Sign-In Sheet. Please print clearly!
8. Member’s name must be covered on piece entered. Write corresponding entry number from the sign-in sheet on the tape covering artist’s name. This number will be used for judging.
9. Member may not enter the same piece more than once.
10. Entries must be original artwork conceived and executed by the member, no prints or Giclees. Digital art, Mono Prints, Lithographs, Serigraphs and Photography as original works of art are accepted. Three Dimensional art and Sculpture if original is also welcome. We expect that you will not copy another artist’s work. Painting in the style of a well-known artist is permitted, but your artwork must not replicate their original piece. Please no work replicating assignments given in a class or workshop. Please be aware that here are many members who take the same classes and they have pointed out in the past when entries are class work.
11. There will be two categories:
Intermediate– All members are welcome to enter in this level if they have not already won several first place ribbons in the past or if their work is determined by the Competition Coordinator to be of Advanced level quality. If member wins one first-place ribbon they may move up to Advanced Level. Upon winning two first-place ribbons member must move up to Advanced Level.
Advanced-This category is for all members who previously won first-place ribbons, had their work accepted into other juried shows and show a level of skill beyond the beginner and intermediate artist.
12. Ribbons and points will be awarded as follows:
First Place: 7 points
Second Place: 5 points
Third Place: 3 points
Honorable Mentions: 2 points
Popular Choice: 5 points
Entry Only: 1 point (no ribbon)
13. Points accumulated during the year from monthly shows determine the Artist of the Year.
14. Other juried shows will not count towards Artist of the Year, but award-winning art from other competitions may be entered in PYLAA monthly competition
15. When a member becomes Artist of the Year two times, he or she will be inducted into the Hall of Fame.
16. Additional monthly exhibits for points and awards will be at the discretion of the board, including annual member’s show.